Tuesday, October 19, 2010

{DIY} Tree Stump Drawers



So you're just a tad curious how those tree stump drawers were made?
Well you're in luck, because I'm going to show you!

However, first a disclaimer.  :)
I didn't make this, my Dad did, so I'll be walking through it on a finished piece, not one in progress. Plus, I can give you a pretty close idea of how it was done, but I might not tell you the exact size of drill bit and saw blade etc.
However, if you're feeling up to giving something like this a try, I'm going to bet you know your way around power tools enough to make a good guess at what's going to work for you!

To make this you will need:

A aesthetically pleasing tree stump
(mine is 17" tall & about 7" in diameter for reference)
Drill & itty-bitty drill bit
Band Saw (or possibly a Scroll Saw, depending on the size of your stump)
Wood Glue
Clamps

step1

To start, decide which side is the front.
Then, cut off the back portion, the full length of the stump

step2_3

Next, decide how many, how big and where you would like your drawers. With a pencil, draw yourself guidelines (that you will cut in just a moment)

Once you've figured out the placement of all the drawers, using as small of a drill bit as you can that will still allow a saw blade to be inserted, drill a hole into the bottom center of each drawer.

Then, using a Band or Skill saw, insert the saw blade into the drill hole, re-attach the blade to the saw and carefully cut out each drawer, using your pencil marks as your guide.

step4

In the case of my set of drawers, you will now have 4 squares of wood.

Now, on each block, cut off the front portion and the back portion of each "drawer".

step5

You now need to hollow out your drawer.
To do this, draw a "U" shaped guideline, leaving enough width so that the drawer isn't weak, and then cut out the center, by following the guideline with your band/skill saw.

step6

Glue everything back together!
Put the fronts & backs back on your hollowed out "drawer".
Glue the back of the stump back onto the front of the stump.
Carefully, clamp everything in place, using rags & wood blocks, so as not to damage any of the surfaces.

If the drawers don't happen to have little twigs sticking out of their fronts, (only one of mine did to begin with) you can find other twigs, drill holes in the drawer fronts and glue the twigs in place to serve as knobs. 

Once completely dry, your finished.

CRW_1598

Sneaky, and quite beautiful!

(if anyone tries this, you HAVE to send me pictures!!!)

xoxo Lori Danelle

1 comment:

I'm so glad that you've stopped by this blog & I LOVE hearing your feedback and questions — however, as this blog is no longer active I may not see it!! But no worries! I've moved all content from this blog to my new website and would appreciate it if you visited me over there: Lori Danelle.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails